We are celebrating Dr. Michael Mason-Wood – who Dr. Chris likes to refer to as her 20 in 1 guy as he can do just about anything- cook, clean, fix anything, make anything,...
A typical prescription when you are low in iron is to take an iron supplement. With so many supplements out there, it may be hard to choose, and so you might just go with...
Article by the Orthomolecular Medicine News Service Preventing Falls, a serious matter: One in four falls in the elderly proves fatal. by Ralph K. Campbell, M.D. If one l...
About Dr. Chris
While I was doing my undergraduate degree at UBC in the late 1980’s, I experienced a debilitating depression and anxiety which was very difficult to treat. I also had an eating disorder and was not coping with the stress I was under at that time. Like most people, I had not heard about Naturopathic medicine or Orthomolecular medicine, so I was treated with medications that were not effective. Six months after starting an antidepressant for the very first time to help my depression and anxiety, I spun into a delusion, psychotic, manic episode. It took six people – my mom, boyfriend, two paramedics and two firemen to wrestle me into a straight jacket. I was taken to the hospital, injected with haloperidol and left in a rubber room to come back to reality. When I did, I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder type 1. Since that time, I have lived in shame because of the label of bipolar disorder. I just wanted to be “normal”.
After surviving a suicide attempt (which left me in a coma, on dialysis waiting for a kidney transplant), I finally began the healing process after reading a book called “ A Return to Love” by Marianne Williamson. Up until this point I was living with the shame and stigma of the labels I had been given and I had not accepted myself. Since reading that book, I have spent over 25 years learning to accept and understand myself & my diagnosis with the help of many types of practitioners. I have come to realize that there are 10 steps to mental wellness and there are more natural ways to treat mental “dis-ease” as I outline in my book “Beyond the Label: 10 Steps to Improve your Mental Health with Naturopathic Medicine“. The sole reason I became a Naturopathic Doctor was because when I was struggling with my illness there weren’t many natural experts in the field. After attending the Orthomolecular Medicine Society’s Mental Health Regained Public Forum in 1999, I became a patient of Dr. Abram Hoffer’s and experienced my first depression free year in 13 years. I also made some major life changes, such as resigning from my job as Head of Marketing in a global investment management firm where I reported to the CEO and travelled frequently. I also began the process of inquiry into what I really wanted to be doing with my life. After sitting with the question “If money didn’t matter, what would I be doing?” the answer revealed itself to me in a tiny whisper “ Become a Naturopathic Doctor and help people heal from anxiety, depression , anorexia, bulimia, bipolar disorder (types 1 or 2), addiction, ADD/ADHD, OCD, etc using natural therapies and orthomolecular medicine.
“As we discover a more compassionate relationship with both our strengths and our weaknesses, the storms of struggle will calm down enough for us to hear the voices of wisdom inside of us that know the path to the healing we are longing for.”
Given my health journey, I have a primary interest in treating mental health, however, in the last decade, I have expanded my expertise into balancing hormones for women when it comes to PMS, menopause, fertility and pregnancy – especially since becoming a mom myself. Nothing gives me greater joy than helping a woman conceive, seeing her birth her baby naturally and being the primary care physician for her and her newborn baby.
If you are recently diagnosed with a mental illness or you are struggling in your life, please accept my helping hand and let me guide you to optimum health as outlined in my books “Beyond the Label: 10 Steps to Improve your Mental Health with Naturopathic Medicine: “Moving Beyond: A Journal into Self-discovery and “The Essential Diet: Eating for Mental Health” . Have faith that you can get well. I believe you can and I wish you all the joy there is to be found on the healing journey. Let love for yourself always be your guide.
- Mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend and colleague
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine graduated from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) in 2005
- Speaker, Mental Health Regained Public Forum organized by the Orthomolecular Medicine Society.
- Speaker, Its time to Bloom, Edmonton October 2017
- Speaker, Functional Medicine University May 2017
- Advisory Board, Functional Medicine University May 2017
- Sponsor, Natural Terrain Mental Health Scholarship, Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine November 2016
- Speaker, Integrative Medicine Series, Edmonton January 2016
- Naturopathic Development Center: Top 43 Canadian ND list + various featured articles of the month 2016
- Integrative Practitioners: Clinic Feature article November 2015
- Podcasts: Businesses in Bloom, Evolution of Medicine/James Maskell, Story Hinge, MAXIMize your Business 2014 – present
- Speaker, Mind Alive event – Health action network, Vancouver October 2015
- Naturopathic Doctor News Review featured article on bulimia
- Guest interview, City Breakfast TV
- Speaker, Masks of Madness, Canadian Society of Orthomolecular Medicine October 2012 & 2013
- Speaker, Brain Solutions Conference, 2013
- Interviewed by Primacy.ca, Health Local on bowel health Sept 2012
- Interviewed by Psychology Central on Eating disorder recovery October 2010
- Interviewed by Alive magazine on Orthomolecular medicine for mental health November 2010
- Several articles published in Health Action Network magazine, Alive Magazine, Naturopathic Currents, Healthy Directions magazine, Edmonton and Fort McMurray local newspapers 2005 – present
- Several podcast interviews: James Maskell, Businesses in Bloom, StoryHinge, MAXIMize your business 2005 – present
- Member, Canadian Society of Orthomolecular Medicine
- Member, Perinatal Naturopathic Doctors Assoc.
- Guest, Global Breakfast TV & CTV’s Alberta Primetime discussing current health topics on the Health Panel
- Former board member, Pink and Green Ribbon Campaign – www. Pinkandgreenribbon.com
- UBC, Faculty of Science prerequisites for CCNM, 2001
- UBC, Faculty of Commerce Valedictorian 1990
- UBC Dean’s Honor list recipient 1987-90
- Scholarship varsity track & cross country athlete at UBC
- UBC Rhodes Scholar applicant.
- Trained in Compassion Focused Therapy, Gestalt psychotherapy, Mindfulness Therapy & Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- Avid outdoors and exercise enthusiast, completed three marathons, Ironman, many triathlons and ½ marathons.
Thank you” does not express all the gratitude I feel for everything you’ve done for me. Without your help I’m sure I wouldn’t be here today. Please never stop helping others – you have a special gift that should always be shared. With eternal g...
Holistic, Happy Baby2015-09-29
Dr. Bjorndal, Thank you so much for helping me start my journey of parenthood and teaching me holistic ways to have a healthy baby boy. We credit alot of our son’s health to you and your expertise and your kind support. I am so grateful for all...
Days are Lighter and Brighter2015-09-29
I wish to thank you for being the first Doctor to “see me”. I wish to thank you for extending your deep grace which allowed me to unfold myself and begin this difficult work. I wish to thank you for your perfect generosity, boundless patience a...
Thank you for your priceless help and encouragement, for being beautiful and for helping me become a better person. Thank you for helping me find happiness and showing me that I so truly deserve that.
Dear Dr. Bjorndal, I wanted to write and let you know, with complete sincerity, that you have made a profound impact on my life & have given me a much healthier perspective. Every day I make decisions that you have influenced, and for that,...
A Refreshing Experience2015-09-29
I wanted to write you a little note to let you know how much I appreciate you and everything that you have been teaching me about health & wellness. Although the naturopathic journey has been somewhat of a roller coaster ride, I find it a r...
Thank you so much for your care & guidance with my daughter’s health. Your expertise and wisdom have made such a difference in her life. All the best to you and your family as you move South to Edmonton.
I really can’t thank you enough for your caring, compassion and relentless pursuit of a better state of health & well-being for me. This has made such a difference in my life. You will be missed in Fort McMurray but I wish many blessings an...
We’d both like to thank you for all you’ve done. Your kindness and expertise will not be forgotten. We hope your new home and city will bring much joy to your family.
No More Anti-Depressants2015-09-29
I have been seeing Dr. Bjorndal for my on-going healthcare for over five years. Dr. Bjorndal is an extremely knowledgeable and empathetic naturopathic physician. She is interested in bringing her patients to whole body wellness by treating both...