Sports medicine is the branch of medicine that deals with the prevention and treatment of sports injuries and diseases that are caused by participation in various sports. It was only recently that many top level athletes began focusing on sport’s performance. Many of these athletes now employ nutritionists, acupuncturists, chiropractors and naturopaths to enhance their overall performance. Naturopathic doctors have comprehensive medical training and believe in a holistic approach for treating sports injuries. Naturopaths believe that the body can heal itself if supported right and so naturopathic doctors help athletes by using multiple modalities to:
- Manage and relive pain from sports injuries
- Increase performance
- Prevent overtraining using preventative medicine
- Teach proper training by giving lifestyle counselling
- Speed recovery from sports injuries
Dr. Mason-Wood has worked with all levels of athletes from the casual runner to those training for their next marathon. He specializes in using injection therapies like prolotherapy to treat sports injuries. Many of his patients come to him after sustaining sports or training related injuries. They believe they will never be able to exercise or compete again and surgery is their only option. He provides an alternative to surgery in the form of injection therapies.
In addition to injection therapies Dr. Mason-Wood works directly with his patients to create a treatment plan that is customized to their lifestyle. The services that Dr. Mason-Wood provides to athletes are:
- Injection therapies to relive pain and help athletes recover from sports injuries
- IV therapies that speed recovery time and optimize the body’s function
- Nutrition and supplementation for peak performance before, during and after training
- Ozone therapy can help speed recovery and optimize the body’s athletic performance
- Prevent sports injuries through counselling, hormone balancing and body function optimization
- Enhances energy capacity by maximizing metabolic and cellular function
- Uses lab exams to monitor a patient’s progress
Whether it is enhancing your athletic performance or recovering from a sports injury so that you can get back in the game Dr. Mason-Wood can help.