Every day, I am constantly reminded of how amazing our bodies are. While I was out enjoying the sun this past weekend, I reflected on Vitamin D and how incredible it is that our skin can produce such an important molecule when exposed to the sun.
Vitamin D is an important part of maintaining regular body functions as well as preventing many diseases. Some of the benefits of Vitamin D are…
- Maintaining calcium and phosphorus balance
- Promoting strong bones
- Reducing inflammation
- Decreasing cardiovascular risk
- Lowering the risk of cancer
- Reducing overall mortality rates
- Lowering the risk of pre-term birth in pregnant women
- Reduced incidence of dementia
- And it plays a major role in a healthy immune system. It is associated with…
- Increased production of antimicrobial peptides by the immune system.
- Less respiratory tract infections
- Fewer cases of influenza
- Fewer autoimmune diseases
Despite longer exposure to sunlight in the summer, Vitamin D deficiency is more common than you may think. In Canada, cold winters have us bundling up, staying indoors and limiting our exposure to the sun. The long winters can put our bodies into a deficient state. Additionally, ageing, disease, obesity, medications and genetic mutations may put a person at risk of vitamin D deficiency.
Luckily, your naturopathic doctor can test your vitamin D in office and help you reach the ideal levels. This quick test can help us identify causes of illness, help prevent many diseases and promote optimum health.
With the start of back to school right around the corner, it is a good idea to discuss with your naturopathic doctor about the importance of vitamin D. Book an appointment today to have your vitamin D levels tested.