Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
Yields: 6 side servings
- 3 small red beets, peeled and sliced into 6 wedges each
- 3 small golden beets, peeled and sliced into 6 wedges each
- 2 tbsp olive oil or Camelina oil
- 1 blood orange, peel removed and sliced into rounds
- 2 Valencia or navel oranges, peel removed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved
- 4-5 cups mixed greens
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons pistachios, coarsely chopped
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons microgreens or sprouts
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon or honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Toss the beets in 2 tablespoons of oil. Place the beets on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for about 45 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool.
- Layer together the mixed greens, beets, orange slices and shaved fennel.
- Whisk together the olive oil, mustard, vinegar, honey, orange juice, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad just before serving.
- Optional: Sprinkle with pistachios and microgreens/sprouts, and serve.
– When storing leftovers, keep beets separate from remainder of salad to prevent fennel from discolouring pink. Assemble the beets with remainder of salad and drizzle with dressing just before serving.
– If you have one, use a mandolin to slice the fennel thinly and evenly.