This is a hearty and wholesome meal that our whole family loved. We always get excited when we find recipes that are both delicious and packed with nutrients that will keep us healthy. We found the recipe from Dr. Raza Shah, ND, we made some tweaks and came out with a beautiful Sheppard’s pie.
To limit exposure to toxins, we suggest buying organic vegetables. It is good to refer to the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen to identify which vegetables and fruits are typically high in toxins. These are the vegetables and fruit which we prioritize when buying organic.
One of our favourite places to get our meat is from TK Ranch. They are an Albertan company, animal welfare approved, certified grass-fed and focus on environmental sustainability.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Serving Size: 4
Time: 1 hour
- 1 head of cauliflower (chopped into florets)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 16 ozs of extra lean ground beef
- 3 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups carrot (diced)
- 2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (177ºC)
- Place cauliflower florets in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let the florets boil until they are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add in onions and garlic, until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the meat, and cook until browned
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, Italian seasoning and salt. Cook for a few minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Drain the cauliflower. In the same pot, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt to the cauliflower. Mash well until the cauliflower becomes almost like a puree
- Transfer the meat mixture to a casserole or pie dish and distribute it into an even layer. Top with the cauliflower mash and spread it evenly across the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to a low broil and broil for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and serve. Enjoy!
- If you are following a vegan or vegetarian diet you can substitute the ground meat for cooked lentils.