Why do a Spring Cleanse?
- As few as 10% of patients with chronic illnesses are responsible for approximately 70% of healthcare costs.
- Chronic diseases are currently responsible for more than 80% of all deaths and an even higher proportion of total disability after age 50.
- Up to 90% of all cancer are thought to be related and/or due to the effects of environmental carcinogenic exposure.
- 6000 new chemicals are listed in the chemical abstracts each week, thus amounting to more than 300,000 new chemicals yearly.
- One drink drops the liver efficacy by 10% for 16 hours. Stress and smog drop it too.
- THE GOOD NEWS IS OUR LIVER IS 99% EFFECTIVE IN CLEARING TOXINS FROM OUR BODY!
- The liver filters 2 litres of blood per minute for detoxification and when working optimally. The liver clears up to 99% of the bacteria and other toxins during the first pass.
- Its capacity to regenerate itself after being damaged is remarkable. The liver can lose up to 70% of its capability and still not show diagnosable liver disease….but functionally contribute to a wide array of problems.
- Directly neutralizes a toxin, eg. Caffeine or modifies the toxic chemical to form activated intermediates which are then neutralized by one or more of the several Phase 11 enzyme symptoms
- Detoxification of most chemical toxins involve a group of enzymes collectively named the cytochrome P450.
- wide array of problems.
- Activates biochemical conjugation in which various enzymes in the liver attach small chemical structures to the toxin. This conjugation reaction either neutralizes the toxin or makes the toxin more easily excreted in the urine or bile.
- There are six Phase 11 detoxification pathways, glutathione conjugation, amino acid conjugation, methylation, sulfation, acetylation and glucoronidation.
The Gut-Toxicity Connection
- Increase intestinal permeability
- Leaky Gut symptoms: abdominal pain, gas, mood swings, skin rashes, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, bladder infections, anxiety, asthma, allergies and poor immunity.
- Clinical conditions associated with “Leaky Gut” include: Alcoholism, acne, mental illness, Eczema, Psoriasis, inflammatory joint disease, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic fatigue, and muscular and joint pains.
Chemical Toxins: primarily dealt with by the liver
- Solvents, cleaning materials, formaldehyde, pesticides, herbicides and food additives
- Signs and symptoms: many psychological and neurological symptoms, depression, headaches, mental confusion, mental illness, abnormal nerve reflexes, fatigue.
Presentation of a chemically toxic patient
- More than 20 pounds overweight
- Alcohol use
- Natural and synthetic hormone use
- Heavy antibiotic use in the past
- Use of diuretics
- NSAIDS abuse
- Thyroid hormone
- Food sensitivities and allergies
- Digestive complaints
- Un-named illnesses